Friday, May 13, 2011

Random Food Fridays - Coconut Carrot Raisin Salad

May has exploded with activity! Just as strawberries and rhubarb are coming in, I've been running around doing everything but working in my kitchen. I love doing seasonal things, but it sure seems like just about the time all the fruit and veg comes in I want to go out - as in outside to play. Maybe I'll get some canning done in May, but I just don't know.

Last weekend was very busy and fun. We went to our daughter's open studios show at Mill's College on Saturday. We are super proud of her and her good work. On Sunday we had a lovely Mother's Day meal at my aunt and uncles house. I brought cherry cobbler, homemade ginger ale (another post coming soon) and this coconut, carrot and raisin salad. I really like salads like this. You may have noticed that I consider many things salad fodder. This is a traditional salad that is given a little depth and interest with the addition of coconut and pineapple. My father-in-law is convinced of the health benefits of coconut and we've all been trying to work more coconut products in to our diet. Lucky for me, I LOVE coconut!

Coconut Carrot and Raisin Salad
4 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tsp. sugar or honey

Toss it all and chill until serving time. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment