Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Black bean, Pork & Winter Squash Stew

This is an experimental model. I think it came out pretty darn good. Miss Paula came by and helped me with the spicing and took a good portion home. I'm glad she did. This is not something Mr. Dwayne would enjoy, and I can't seem to make soup in batches smaller than a full pot.

The inspiration for this stew came from half a butternut squash languishing in my fridge. Also, the cool weather has made me positively crave beans. I'm looking forward to my lunch tomorrow! Yum!

Black bean, Pork & Winter Squash Stew
3 tbsp. peanut oil
1 lb. pork (I used boneless sirloin chops)
1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. coriander
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
3/4 cup sweet corn kernels
1 7 oz. can diced green chiles
2 cups winter squash, peeled and cubed
2 cups diced tomatoes in their juice
1/2 chopped cilantro
5 cups cooked black beans (2 cups dry)
2 cups bean cooking liquid or broth

Garnish suggestions - avocado, sour cream, cilantro

If using dry beans, soak beans overnight. Drain and rinse. Either add to a crock pot with 6 cups water, or add to a stock pot on the stove with 6 cups of water. Simmer until tender. (The crock pot does a great job of this while you are at work!) My 2 cups of dry beans and 6 cups of water finished with 5 cups of beans and 2 cups of liquid. You may use canned beans to good effect, but may need to reduce the salt.

Wash, dry and cut the pork into 1/2 inch cubes. Combine all spices, salt and sugar and stir into the pork. Let stand while you cut up the vegetables. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot. Add the pork and brown, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, onion, sweet corn, green chiles, squash, tomatoes and cilantro. Bring to a simmer. Add the beans and bean juice or broth and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the pork is tender. Taste for seasoning and serve. Makes way too much for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment