Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Random Food Fridays - Busy Weeknights

It's time for another Random Food Friday entry. Here is another easy weeknight dinner - chicken salad. I like it rolled up in lettuce, but it is also good on bread or with crackers. I'm beginning to be dubious about most commercially canned foods due to the plastic lining in the cans. Some foods are really hard to give up. I like the convenience of canned chicken and canned fish, like tuna and salmon. Sigh. While I'm still using these kinds of foods, I will do my best to make them delicious! This simple salad is made with canned chicken, mayo, sour cream, green onions, grapes and slivered almonds. It really is tasty. Sour cream is a lower calorie choice and still packs lots of flavor and satisfaction. Olive oil mayo = 50 calories per tbsp. Sour cream = 30 calories per tbsp. Regular mayo (still delicious!) = 100 calories per tbsp! This dish works very well as a quick pot-luck offering too.


Here's a veggie side dish I think of as "Summerin' Succotash." (Imagine Sylvester.) We started making this because we had left over corn on the cob and lots of summer squash to use up. It's just corn, squash and shallots sauteed in a little olive oil or butter. It's sweet and crunchy and savory all at the same time and no lima beans! Don't forget generous salt and pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment