Friday, January 14, 2011

Random Food Fridays - I love you Medaglia d'Oro!

I've had a relationship with coffee for some time now. I am fussy about it, but not in the usual ways food people are fussy about it. Some people look at coffee like some people look at wine. They can taste subtle variations based on source location, roast and brew method. My palate is not that developed. I don't like it burnt. I don't like so-called creamer. I like plenty of high-fat dairy products. Fresh and hot please. That's about it.

I was introduced to Medaglia d'Oro through Baking in America by Greg Patent. His Chocolate Espresso Layer Cake changed the way I look at chocolate in baked goods. I now use Medaglia d'Oro in just about all chocolate based desserts. I think it adds a toasty bite that deepens the flavor and brings even the creamiest dessert a dark chocolate character. Mr. Dwayne views coffee as one of the polluting flavors, but when I bake with Medaglia d'Oro, he only detects deliciousness.

Try this for winning literal brownie points at your work or social event: Make lots of brownies using the Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix from Costco. Simply substitute melted butter for the vegetable oil, add a tsp. of Medaglia d'Oro to each 1/3 cup of water, and add 1 tsp. of good vanilla for each pouch used. People go crazy for these. They will think you are a genius. I don't typically used boxed mixes, but for mass quantities, this is a great enhancement.

Medaglia d'Oro is also a cheap girl's dream. A couple of heaping teaspoons in a mug with a little sugar and plenty of half and half and you have a smooth, creamy homemade coffee house style drink. I don't steam the half and half, so I don't think I can call it a latte, but it sure is good. Medaglia d'Oro is the only instant espresso that I have tried that actually produces it's own crema when boiling water is added. Medaglia d'Oro is now my morning coffee, and often my afternoon iced coffee. My neighborhood, family-owned, grocery store started carrying it after I requested it. I don't think I'm the only one who loves it because they sell out often.

Not local. Very processed. BUT, multipurpose and delicious! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment