Friday, May 27, 2011

Random Food Fridays - Thousand Island Dressing

Sometimes Madelyn gets after me for buying bottled salad dressings. Really, it's because I've found a few that I really like and I haven't been able to duplicate them successfully yet. There is one salad dressing that I've always made from scratch - thousand island. This is one of those recipes that my mom always made, and once you make it yourself, the bottled stuff just doesn't taste right. Too much vinegar, I think. This is also one of those master recipes that you can adjust to your own tastes. Don't like mayo - use all sour cream. Don't like pickle relish - chop up some capers. Ketchup too bland - throw in some hot sauce. The version you see in this photo represents this recipe plus a few shots of Tapatio hot sauce for my portion.

By the way, those little carrots are organic Nantes carrots from my farm box. We ate the whole darn bunch! Delish!

Thousand Island Dressing
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup ketchup (homemade if you have it)
2 tbsp. pickle relish (I used my own sweet zucchini relish with roasted jalapeƱos)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
freshly ground black pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste (optional)

Combine all ingredients and chill.
35 calories per tbsp.
(I made mine with olive oil mayo that is 50 calories per tbsp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment