Friday, June 24, 2011

Random Food Fridays - Miso Udon

It's been kind of a rough week. My husband's beloved Grandma Grace passed away last week. I've already shared her recipe for bread and rolls. I will share more of her recipes as we enjoy them. We are grateful that she had a long and happy life. Even at 93, she was still baking pies and other goodies for her friends and neighbors. These past few years her daughter, Sharen, has helped her with the baking. While we miss her, we are also grateful that she passed into rest after a brief illness rather than a long one. My heart knows she has been welcomed home.

Because we've been so busy and work has been so stressful, I haven't done much cooking. I have some big cooking (and eating) plans for the weekend. I currently have homemade green apple pectin reducing on the stove and mulberries in my freezer. I'm also hoping for more cherries or strawberries at the farmers' market tomorrow. I love the scheming, anticipatory part of preserving!

For now, I'm sharing one of our comfort foods. It is easy-peasy, cheap and tasty. The proportions are really up to you, so my recipe will resemble instructions more than a structured recipe.

Miso Udon
1 quart box chicken broth
1 packet of fresh udon noodles
2 cups cooked, boneless, skinless chicken pieces
about 1 lb. of bok choy or baby bok choy
1 heaping tbsp. white miso (or more per your taste - this ends up being about 3 tbsp. for me)
3 sliced green onions

Place the broth in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Add the noodles, chicken and bok choy. Simmer for a few minutes, until the bok choy is done to your liking. Stir in the miso, sprinkle with green onions and serve.

Makes 4 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment