Friday, February 10, 2012

Random Food Fridays - Fruity Kale Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette


I don't think this picture really does this yummy salad justice. I'm a much better cook than photographer. I barely had time to take this picture before I threw it into a lidded bowl and jumped in my car to get on my way to a pot luck.

For an experimental model, this turned out very well. My friends and I enjoyed it very much. I've been jonesin' for the bright flavors of Spring fruits. The fruits here are tropical - mango and pineapple - but this would be just as good with strawberries or peaches. The vinaigrette is made from a recent jam experiment - lime jam. (Recipe commimg soon!) If you don't have lime jam, you can substitute lemon or lime curd, marmalade or even honey. I have never used raw kale in a salad and I was skeptical, but it is delicious! I hope you'll try a kale salad real soon!

Fruity Kale Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
Salad:
1 large mango, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 fresh ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
large handful of chopped cilantro (I used half of a bunch)
6 mint leaves, chopped
2 cups of kale leaves that have had the ribs removed and been sliced very thin

Dressing:
1 tbsp. lime jam
juice of one orange
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic/herb seasoning
1 tsp. country style Dijon mustard
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Toss all the all of the salad ingredients together. Place all of the dressing ingredients into a blender or tall container. Blend in the blender or with a stick blender until emulsified. Toss the dressing with the salad. Let stand for 20-30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment