Friday, March 2, 2012

Random Food Fridays - Ribbon Salad with Pea Shoots and Pepitas

Nom, Nom, Nom

Some cliches just work. They are cliches for a reason, right.

This salad was an experimental model that exceeded my expectations. Like any salad, you could substitute lots of different things, but I particularly like the pea shoots and pepitas with this. I also like the light and zingy flavor of a white wine vinaigrette with this mix. Generally, balsamic is my go-to for vinaigrette, but I wanted the color and variety of these vegetables to come through. I used about half of the vinaigrette recipe on this salad and the rest to marinate some beans for another salad.


Ribbon Salad with Pea Shoots and Pepitas
Salad:
1 small daikon, or part of a big one (The one I used was about the size of a large carrot.)
2 medium carrots
1 small zucchini
1 heaping cup pea sprouts
hand full of pepitas

Scrub the diakon, carrots and zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler to shave ribbons of each of these vegetables. Stop peeling the zucchini when you reach the seeds. Toss the ribbons with the pea sprouts. Toss all with the white wine vinaigrette and sprinkle with pepitas.

Served two at my house, but we pretty much chowed down!

Dressing:
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. country style Dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
pinch salt
freshly ground black pepper
pinch garlic & herb seasoning
pinch sugar

Place all ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and shake like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment