Friday, April 27, 2012

Random Food Fridays - Tropical Banana Bread


I've mentioned that I love coconut, right? 
And pineapple too, right? 
So, add them to banana bread? 
You bet!

I've been experimenting with this banana bread for a while. I wanted it moist and chewy and not too sweet. I wanted to include coconut oil, but not so much that it made the bread dense. I think I've finally found the right balance.

This is good toasted or room temp. This photo shows it embellished with butter. You might try peanut butter for a breakfast treat. I like it that way.


This bread keeps well. Although, none have lasted more than a week at my house. It's too good. I guess I'm predicting it keeps well based on the fact that the last slice tastes as good as the first.

Tropical Banana Bread
4 medium bananas
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, well drained
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup dried, shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans.

Peel bananas and break into chunks in a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice and mash thoroughly. (I use an immersion blender.) Stir in the drained pineapple, sugar, vanilla and melted coconut oil. Set aside. In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and coconut. Stir the fruit mixture and the dry mixture together until just combined. Divide into the two prepared loaf pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. When done, remove from oven and immediately turn out of the pans on to a cooling rack. Makes two loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment