Friday, May 25, 2012

Random Food Fridays - Minted Melon Salad


This salad combines some of my favorite flavors. It is sweet and cool and refreshing. I made it as an accompaniment to a spicy red curry and it was wonderfully soothing and refreshing. The flavor will improve as it macerates, but the mint will darken. My lunch mates didn't care about my brownish flecks of mint and I enjoyed it to pieces.

Minted Melon Salad
1/2 large honeydew melon (about 4 cups cubed)
Zest and juice of one orange
2 tbsp. fresh chopped mint
1 tbsp. ginger syrup*

Cut up the melon and place into a large-ish bowl. Grate the orange zest over the melon. Squeeze the juice over the melon. Stir in the mint and the ginger syrup. Toss to coat. Enjoy!

*I have kept ginger syrup on hand since discovering this recipe. I have found many uses for it, including adding a fantastic zing to fruits. You can also purchase ginger syrup in most gourmet or health food stores. Honey would make a good substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment