Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ginger Syrup Teriyaki Skewers


I missed Random Food Fridays this week. I had a particularly intense work week and took Friday off. But, rather than rest, I had fruit to jam! The summer fruits are coming in like gang busters and I was gifted Santa Rosa plums and apricots from friend's trees. 


The Santa Rosa plums were perfectly ripe and beautiful. Here's a picture of some that I held back for snacking. I'm not posting a recipe for the jam I made, but I will refer you back to this recipe for plum and pineapple jam that I posted in December of 2010. This is basically the same method and recipe, only this year I had beautiful plums that did not need the addition of cranberries to add some nice color.

This is why you didn't get a Random Food Friday and why Mr. Dwayne took me out to dinner!


See the beautiful ruby color? The flesh of these plums is as sweet as honey, but the skins are very tart and give this jam a pleasant tang. This is a great foundation for many sauces and yummy the usual way - on toast!

The players - Tri-tip, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger syrup and garlic.

Now, for today's recipe! I've been making ginger syrup for a couple of years now. It is so delicious! This is the recipe I use. I can't state this strongly enough - once you have ginger syrup in your life, you won't know what you did without it! I use it to flavor teas, on fruit and in this yummy and easy marinade. If you don't want to make your own, you can always purchase some from Ginger People. I've seen their products in most larger markets.


For the skewers, you can use any veggie you have on hand that will cook over a grill in a timely manner and won't get so soft that it will easily fall off. I happened to have zucchini, sweet onions and crimini mushrooms. They worked out great!


Simply marinate the meat for a few hours, skewer with the veggies and grill. Mr. Dwayne was not sad that the meat to veggie ratio allowed for a fully meat-loaded skewer. He assumed I made it just for him.


These will only require 4-5 minutes on each side, depending upon how hot your coals and how close your grate. I had to move mine around because some were cooking faster than others.

My dinner - Ginger Syrup Teriyaki Skewers and Brown Rice Pilaf. Yum!

Ginger Syrup Teriyaki Skewers
1 lb. tri-tip steak, trimmed of fat and silver skin and cut into 1 inch cubes 
3 tbsp. soy sauce
3 tbsp. ginger syrup
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil 
1 clove of garlic, minced
additional grated fresh ginger, if desired
Veggies of your choice, cut into large chunks

Combine the soy sauce, ginger syrup, sesame oil and garlic in a bowl that is just large enough to hold the beef. I grated in about another teaspoon of fresh ginger, but I'm crazy like that. Stir together and add the beef. Stir to coat and press the beef down into the marinade. Refrigerate until ready to skewer and grill. Marinate at least two hours. 

Prepare your grill or broiler pan. Alternate beef and veggies on the skewers. When all are skewered, brush the remaining marinade over all. When the coals are ready (mostly white), oil the hot grill rack (or broiler pan) and place the skewers over the coals. Allow to cook for about 4 minutes on a side. Our beef came out medium and the veggies were nicely cooked. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for a few minutes while you get the rest of your dinner together. EAT!

This probably would have fed four people, if two of them hadn't been us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment