Friday, April 30, 2010

Jars!

We are preparing for a much needed yard sale. Much of the proceeds will go to our daughter's post-graduate trip to Europe. We live in a home that was built in 1927, and has been inhabited by my family members since 1946. We've been here nearly 27 years. Even after all these years, I still find stuff I don't expect. I knew there were some quart jars in our basement, but I didn't know how many, and I didn't realize there were so many dozens of jelly jars. I've been buying jars! Aren't these pretty? And they are just as I found them, still covered in dust.



As I was sorting the jars, I found this Parade magazine from the Sacramento Bee, dated June 21, 1959. What a hoot! From the looks of the adds in this publication, I think our grandmas' diets were not as pure as we'd like to imagine. I can remember my Grandma Betty making holiday spuds from a box, and frozen peas in cream sauce from the freezer section. At 91, she still brings her famous orange-cool whip jello salad to family occasions.









No comments:

Post a Comment