Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome

My name is Susan and I live in beautiful Sacramento, CA. I've been wanting to share my food adventures for some time. My husband, Dwayne, and I have been working on eating better and losing weight. As of this date, between the two of us, we've lost the equivalent of a largish child. I'm not a purist of any sort. I like food. A lot. My old food hobby was baking. I knew I had to find some challenge that didn't involve producing large amounts of buttery desserts. My new technical challenge is canning. I've been making jam for years, but was inspired by Food In Jars, which introduced me to the virtual community of food preservationists. Canning is perfect for me right now. I can create wonderful things that are designed to be eaten in small quantities over time. I live in a city that is a little bit urban and a whole lot of agriculture. I can drive 30 minutes in any direction and find growers selling their produce. I'm entering into my second year of gardening, which has been a longer learning curve than canning. Let's just say, I don't think I'll have enough of my own produce to can a batch of anything any time soon. Although, I have been using my herbs to add some flavor. Even as I blog, I'm waiting for grapefruit, pineapple and rosemary marmalade to come up to temp.

I hope to share what I eat, what I prepare well, and even what I flub. We can all learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment