Thursday, September 2, 2010

Random Food Fridays - Jam Sauce

I had such big food plans for the week. Excellent plans, that included pictures and instructions, and I had hoped, inspiration. I got as far as this chicken on Tuesday night and the plans all changed. One quick trip to the ER later and serious cooking is off the table for a while. Here's the story: I sharpened my favorite knife to break down this chicken. I really like to cut up my own chicken. I hate the little shards that are left behind when the butcher does it with a saw. I got my chicken all seasoned and sauced and in the oven and was cleaning up when I cut my finger while drying the knife. I've never had any experience like this before. I'm very respectful of my knives. I'll be even more so now. I have three little stitches and will get them out in 12 days. Meanwhile, I'm at a negative for manual dexterity.

I'm really glad we saved the chicken. What you see here is a leftover plate, which I ate on Thursday. When I got my cut, I knew it needed medical attention, but my first thought was "I just put that chicken in the oven! What am I going to do!" I called Mr. Dwayne, who raced home from A-1 Comics before he even made his purchases. (You see how loved I am!) By the time he got home, the chicken only had 15 minutes to go. With this kind of injury, I expected to be stuck at the ER for hours. In the end, we decided to just wait for the chicken and eat before heading out. I can report that they got me in and out of the Morse Avenue ER in about an hour and a half, and Doctor Jim was awesome. He assured me that I did very well even though I am a big baby on the inside.

Enough about me and my damaged digit! We're here to talk food!

I have discovered that I can make a delicious and varied BBQ sauce by combining the following:

1 cup jam
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 tbsp. dried chopped onion
1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

For the chicken you see above, I used my lemon, pineapple and rosemary marmalade as the base. I've used this same sauce on thick pork chops or country style pork ribs in the crock pot, but with my plum and pineapple jam. You can make any combination of meat and jam you like. Do season the meat well with salt and pepper. Add garlic powder too, if you like. I baked this whole, cut up, chicken in a 9 x 13 pan in a 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes. I love serving this chicken with fragrant brown Basmati rice. I think the jammed crock pot pork tastes great with mashed sweet potatoes. The sauce combines with the meat juices to make a tasty gravy.

Until we share a table again - Jam! It's not just for toast anymore!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your finger! The sauce sounds delicious! Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken! I bet this sauce would be good on tofu too!

    ReplyDelete