Thursday, October 28, 2010

Random Food Fridays - End of Summer Salad

Due to my recuperation and pouring rain, I hadn't shopped the garden for a few weeks. I gathered the last of the red tomatoes. Some of them had split because of the rain, but had not spoiled yet. I also had a final Japanese cucumber. I should continue to have jalapenos and basil for a while.

I decided to make a mild salsa/salad for my lunch. This is a combo of garden foods and pantry foods. Variable as can be. The only thing that was missing that I would have liked is some avocado sliced on top.

End of Summer Salad
1 cucumber, peeled and quartered lengthwise and sliced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
big handfull of chopped parsley
big handfull of ribboned basil
2 cups roughly chopped tomatoes
2 cups steamed sweet corn (frozen is OK)
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette (or your favorite vinaigrette)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Toss it all together and enjoy. Improves if allowed to marinate an hour or more.


No comments:

Post a Comment