Thursday, October 7, 2010

Random Food Fridays - Regular Old Coleslaw

You may have seen the coleslaw that appeared on my pulled turkey sandwich earlier this week. I decided to share my basic coleslaw with you. The only difference is that tonight I forgot the carrots. It's just for color anyway, unless you add enough for taste, then it's carrot salad.


I like making coleslaw right before eating it. That way everything stays nice and crunchy. What you see below is my V-Slicer. V-slicers are the low-rent cousin of the mandoline. They are really good for getting very thin and even slices or shreds. I have a food processor and use it, but I really prefer the low-tech ways for small jobs - fewer parts to clean and a lot less noise. I was trying to remember how I got this slicer. I remember first seeing one like it at my in-laws house. I honestly can't remember if Pat gave it to me or I saw one at a yard sale later and bought it. I know it didn't buy it new. Pat has given me so much over the last 28 or so years, it's hard to remember everything. Even now she tries to give me things when we visit. It's in her heart to share with her loved ones.


Coleslaw

1/4 of a head of cabbage, sliced very thin

very thin slices of red onion, to taste (for me this is about 8 swipes on the slicer)

1/3 cup olive oil mayonaise

1 tbsp. rice vinegar

2 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. salt

some grinds of black pepper

Toss everything together and serve as a side dish or heaped on a sandwich.

Serves 2 at my house.

The whole thing has 282 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment