Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My Family's Recipes - Pat's Spicy Pineapple Zucchini Bread

I learned a great deal of cooking from my beloved mother-in-law, Pat. When my husband and I started dating about 30 years ago, there was always a home-baked treat on the counter top. This zucchini bread was a favorite. As we've all gotten older, we have kept fewer treats around the house. My husband's Grandma Grace made a special visit over Easter and made zucchini bread for us. She helped me remember just how good it is. She's 92 and still does a lot of baking. Her friends and neighbors love it! Back when Pat was baking for her boys, she made this recipe her own by adding a large can of pineapple chunks instead of a small can of crushed pineapple. I love pineapple and eating this as a young visitor to her home was a revelation. Each chunk is a juicy, golden jewel.

Pat's Spicy Pineapple Zucchini Bread
Beat together:
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Add:
2 cups grated zucchini
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, drained

Combine in another bowl and then stir into the zucchini mixture:
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg

Bake in a well-greased bundt pan in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment