Friday, April 22, 2011

Random Food Fridays - Brown Sugar and Bacon Lit'l Smokies

These definitely come under the category Guilty Pleasures. I first had these a few years ago when my cousin, Felicia, brought them to the family's Easter pot luck. I've since brought them to work pot lucks and, recently to gaming night. There is nothing quite like pure sugar and bacon fat to make my eyes roll up in my head with pleasure. They are magically delicious. Delicious beyond all reason or expectation. They are more than the sum of their parts.
I highly recommend lining your baking pan with foil. This will capture the sauce that forms when the bacon and sugar melt down. I take the little tidbits out of the sauce for serving because they are quite sweet as they are. When I made them last Saturday, I could not bear to throw away the sauce. In fact, I had to call up my will power to not simply eat it with a spoon. I poured it off into a bowl and saved it knowing I would think of some use for it. It ended up in some very nice scratch made baked beans. Sweet and smoky goodness!
Brown Sugar and Bacon Lit'l Smokies
1 14 oz. package of Lit'l Smokies
1 lb. sliced bacon (not thick sliced)
1 cup packed brown sugar
abut 40 tooth picks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 X 13 inch glass baking dish with foil. Lay the bacon out on a cutting board and slice across the slab so that the bacon slices are in three equal stacks. Take one slice of bacon and roll it around a sausage and secure with a toothpick. Continue until they are all rolled up, secure and placed in the baking dish with the toothpicks facing up. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over all. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Watch carefully towards the end. If your oven temp is off, these can burn easily. Once done, remove to a serving platter and serve. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

This makes about 40 and you will have a few of the bacon pieces left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment