Saturday, August 27, 2011

Tonight's Dinner - Refreshing Herb Salad

I've been working on recipes for my office newsletter and I just couldn't wait to share this one. Tonight I had pan seared, wild caught salmon and this yummy salad. I'm also happy to say that I've finally gotten the hang of making my own vinaigrette. Like all salads, this one is up for endless variation and will bend to your tastes with grace and ease. However, this is a pretty spectacular combination and I hope you will try it.

Refreshing Herb Salad
3 cups torn leaf lettuce
1/2 of one fennel bulb, sliced thin
1 small shallot, sliced thin
1/2 of one red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 cup mandarin orange segments
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
about 6 mint leaves, chopped

Toss all ingredients and a large bowl. Serve with balsamic vinaigrette.

Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 tsp. coarse French mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a pint jar and shake until it is emulsified. Once refrigerated, the oil may solidify somewhat. Allow to come to room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment