Monday, February 21, 2011

Bubble and Squeak

Lemon Pepper Chicken, Bubble & Squeak and Steamed Veggies

I've had to get pretty good at using up things recently. I have a tendency to get excited about beautiful produce and over-buy. And then, there's my farm box. The new one is coming tomorrow and I still have some things to use up from last time. This dinner helped me to use up the last of four different types of veggies. On Friday, I made potato salad for the weekend and had two gigantic boiled russets leftover that were just too much for a salad that was already up to 10 cups volume. So, I decided to try Bubble & Squeak for the first time. I will certainly be making this again. Indeed, I may make extra potatoes on purpose in the near future. This version does not have the traditional ham or bacon, but still came out plenty tasty due to copious amounts of butter. I think this would be a great breakfast side, and for that, I would likely go for ham as a component.

Bubble & Squeak
2 very large russet potatoes, cooked and peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 of a large white onion, sliced thin
1/4 of a cabbage, cored and sliced thin
5 tbsp. butter
Plenty of salt and pepper

Heat a medium cast iron skillet over a medium-low flame. Add 4 tbsp. of the butter. When the butter is melted and foamy, add the onions and the cabbage. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. After they have softened a bit, add the potatoes and more salt and pepper. Toss everything to make sure the onions and cabbage are distributed and the potatoes are coated with butter. Use a potato masher to break up the potatoes and press the mixture into a pancake like form. Dot with the remaining 1 tbsp. butter and cover. Allow to brown on the bottom for 5-7 minutes. Flip it over in sections and let it brown on the other side for another 5-7 minutes. I kept cooking mine for 20-25 minutes. It can only get crunchier! Be careful to monitor the heat and do not let it scorch. Lower heat over a longer period of time seems to work the best.

I must say that I love my cast iron skillets. With good care a enough fat, they are virtually non-stick and there is no better surface for making a good golden crust.

Makes 4 servings
200 calories each

No comments:

Post a Comment