Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Orange Pineapple Ginger Marmalade

Use it up!
Wear it out!
Make it do, or
Do without!

I first heard this pithy saying from the ladies in my quilting class many years ago. These seem to be wise words, even though I experience this beautiful world as full of generous abundance. Thoughtful and respectful use of all things seems like the clearest path to gratitude.

I made this marmalade to use up some oranges. I didn't have enough for a full batch of orange marmalade, which I'd been making all day. I just had 5 beauties left. I scouted around my kitchen and found some crushed pineapple and some crystallized ginger. You've probably noticed that I like pineapple a lot and am liable to throw it into anything. This marmalade is eye-rolling good. Each flavor element contributes so much, but the ginger is what makes it special. After the sweet and tart, there is a lingering warmth that spreads through the body. I'm already scheming for more ginger infused preserves. Sometimes my experiments do not work out. Sometimes they are the best and happiest products of my kitchen.

Note - Experimentation with canning ingredients takes some know-how. I tested my mixture with litmus papers and added lemon juice until I had the appropriate acidity for the boiling water bath method.

Orange Pineapple Ginger Marmalade
Zest and segments of 5 large oranges
4 cups water
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice
Heaping 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, diced small
Juice of one lemon
6 cups sugar

Prepare jars, lids and boiling water bath for canning. Place several saucers in the freezer.

Peel the zest from the oranges. Place the zest and the diced ginger in a heavy bottomed sauce pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.

Place orange segments, pineapple and juice and lemon juice in a large heavy bottomed stock pot. Add the simmered zest, ginger and the poaching liquid to the fruit. Add the sugar.

Bring to a boil. Boil until marmalade reaches gel stage - This is about 224 on my current thermometer. This will take 30-40 minutes. To test set, pull one of the saucers out of the freezer and scoop a teaspoon of the marmalade onto it. Allow to cool. If it mounds or makes wrinkles when you push it, it is done.

Remove from heat. Stir for 2-3 minutes to distribute fruit. Carefully ladle into prepared jars. Wipe rims and top with lids and rings. Process in a boiling water bath 10 minutes. Turn off the bath and let stand 5 minutes. Carefully remove to a towel lined tray. Allow to stand over night. Check the seals and label.

Makes 4 12 oz. jars

Makes

4 comments:

  1. Hi Susan Made your marmalade this week. I'm very pleased with myself. I have written a blog on it Thank you BTW I have credited you and linked to your site

    ReplyDelete